Thursday, April 5, 2012

Meet our family room.

Our family room is our comfy place that we spend a lot of time. We watch toons here, skype with our distant family and friends, have family home evening, and hold many of play dates.
The room is still evolving. However, it is the first time it has felt pretty to me.
One day, I would like to get new couches instead of our sectional. I made it two pieces because the room is quite awkwardly shaped and the sectional divided the room uncomfortably. My husband hates the way it looks, but I think it makes more sense.
Also while we did paint and stencil our master bedroom and our son's room (pictures soon to come), the green came with the house. I would prefer a pretty cream, but didn't want to invest the time/money into painting the room.
I plan on making a big typography board for over the couch.
I picked up the rad antelope (I think that's what it is) and the milk glass at an antique shop for cheap. I initially planned on painting the antelope gold, but once I got it home, I fell in love with it just the way it is. I just bought that plant last Monday. It is already on its way out. I have watered it and it is right next to screen doors and a window where we get a lot of sun. Any thoughts?

I love these pretty books without their covers. The bird was on clearance at Z Gallerie. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a napkin ring.Our master dresser that I bought at a thrift store for $35 included this side table. I painted it up real pretty and added another $0.75 Crate and Barrel mirror on top. The balls are Styrofoam with push pins. I only made one, my mother-in-law made the rest. She's so awesome. The deer candle holders were thrift store finds that I spray painted. The lampshade was on sale at Target.

Our fireplace is a pretty dark spot in the room so I added as much white as possible to lighten it up. I also loaded up our non-functioning fireplace with candles to make it feel romantic and warm.

Do you have any cool typography ideas? Do you shop at thrift stores/antique shops? Are there any particular items you always look for? How the freak do you keep plants alive???

2 comments:

  1. Hahahhaa, glad to see I am not the only plant murderer.your living room is super cute! I like the lamp lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lookin' great. all of it. i should do a candle spread in the fireplace. i like that. im not too keen on the plant's plastic holder, but i guess it's dead anyway.

    you've got somethin' good.

    did i already miss the post about the push-pin styrofoam balls? those are rad. might have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We sure do like you.