Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup

I love, love, love tomato soup! In college, I basically lived off of canned tomato soup with a massive pile of shredded cheese. It grossed my roommates out (hey girls!!) and now that we have stopped eating processed foods, canned soup kind of grosses me out, too. Since it is getting so cold, I have been craving a hot tomato soup so I went on the hunt for a simple recipe and fell crazy in love with one from Steph's Bite by Bite.  I changed it up a little bit to fit our diet so check out the recipe below.

 Roast 2+ cups cherry tomatoes at 400 for about 20 mins with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
 Saute 1/2 yellow onion and 2 garlic cloves in about a tablespoon of olive oil.
 Instead of buying canned diced tomatoes, dice fresh. It really enhances the flavor. I diced about 8 plum sized tomatoes.
 After garlic and onion is translucent, add in your roasted tomatoes, your diced tomatoes, 3 cups of chicken broth (I use Organic Better Than Bouillon), 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, pepper, 4 chopped fresh basil leaves, and sea salt to taste.
Bring to boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
Blend with immersion blender.
I served our soup topped with freshly grated parmesean and a side of mozzarella and asiago cheese whole wheat quesadillas.

Have you made any soups to warm up? I love soups so please share!

4 comments:

  1. I remember your love for tomato soup, haha! Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely be trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good times were had. I hope you like the soup! Caitlin is going to post a recipe for homemade jam soon for you. xo

      Delete
  2. There was soup in that bowl of melted cheese you used to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We sure do like you.