Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DIY Curtain Holders

I have been focusing so much on the kid's rooms and our family room that our master has started to look way left behind. I decided the very first thing our (mine and my husband) room needed was natural light. Once a room has adequate light, I feel more inspired to create. To add light, I made curtain holders for our dark, sun-blocking curtains (my husband works night shifts and sleeps during the day so these are necessary).
These were pretty easy and best of all, they were free. I just used scrap fabric and spare buttons.
While it is probably pretty basic for most/all sewers, this was my first button hole. It took serious sewing machine manual time to figure it out, but I did it and I think they look great.
I just cut out 2 white rectangles (I have 2 curtains/windows), hemmed each side, made a button hole on one end and hand sewed a button on the other because I couldn't figure out how to do it on my machine.
I cut strips of fabric left over from my table runner and rolled them into rosettes, using the same technique I used it this video tutorial. I then hot glued the rosettes to the holders.
I love them! What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. You are Very crafty. Buttonholes are advanced sewing.....GREAT JOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. A buttonhole? Seriously? Who are you??
    Curtains look fab. Just promise me you won't sew allies prom dress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you come decorate my old woman apartment?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We sure do like you.